Friday, June 12, 2009

Yummy In My Tummy!

Making your own baby food has so many benefits. It is really easy, and you can actually save quite a bit of money doing it. That's the real reason I make my own baby food - not because it is healthier, or better quality, but because I'm cheap! (Here I am confessing, and it's not even Not-Me-Monday!) Here is a simple way to make squash:

Choose a ripe winter squash such as an acorn or butternut variety. Wash the outside, cut it open, and spoon out the seeds.





Next place the squash face down in a glass baking pan.







Then fill the pan with about an inch of water.








And place in an oven that is preheated to 350 degrees.





Bake for 45 minutes. Then carefully drain water from pan, turn the squash right-side up and bake an additional 30-60 minutes, or until the skin starts to peel away from the sides, and you can easily fork the softened insides.



Allow to cool. Cut off and discard the stem and peel and dice up the tender meat of the squash into large chunks that will fit in your blender. Isn't it pretty?







Then puree until smooth. I usually have to add about 1/2 cup of water to make it the right consistency.



Once smooth, spoon it into clean ice-cube trays.



Place in your freezer. And allow to freeze (approx. 3-4 hours).




Once solid, pop the cubes out of the tray and put in a labeled, dated ziplock bag. And you're done!

The cubes will last up to three months in your freezer. Thaw a few cubes at a time, for fabulous, wonderful, CHEAP, yummy squash. Watch out though, your baby might like squash so much that he/she will plump up! See what "yummy in my tummy" did to my Jewel? (And she doesn't look that happy about it!)


1 comment:

  1. Angela...I came across your blog via Heather Myers' blog and I just wanted to tell you and Seth that you have an absolutely adorable little girl. I know Seth from Fort Collins during his college days. Please tell him hello!
    Kristen Green

    ReplyDelete