Friday, June 19, 2009

Happy Father's Day

"As a father has compassion on his children,
so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him;
for he knows how we are formed,
he remembers that we are dust."
- Psalms 103:13-14

Seth is a very compassionate father. We like to joke that I'm the "heavy" in the house, and he is the fun "go-to guy".

All kidding aside, it's the truth.

Total truth.

For example, a few nights ago when Juliette was up for the third time, and I was determined to just let her cry it out, I heard Seth sneak into her room and whisper over her crib, "It's okay Juliette. You're daddy is a big softie. He'll hold you. It's okay." He then tenderly 'rescued' her from her lonesome crib to snuggle with him for awhile.

As frustrated as I sometimes get with Seth over not always being "firm and consistent" with Jewel as I would be, the sort of tenderness he showed her that night melts my heart.

God uses all sorts of images to describe Himself and His attributes,but I am particularly fond of the picture God paints of Himself showing compassion to His children just like a father does. I might be the "heavy" in our family, but when I'm the one crying, I want a God who is willing to pick me up and say, "It's okay darling - Daddy will hold you." Don't you?

Compassionate Father thank you for compassionate fathers. Happy Father's Day!
~~~


Happy Father's Day Gramps!

No comments:

Post a Comment