Wednesday, June 3, 2009

"Them Are Fightin' Words"

Many years ago I was working as a "roving" bank teller, and I was assigned to fill in for a lady who had the following verse posted at her work station, "The Lord will fight for you; you need only be still" - Exodus 14:14. I never met the lady, and I have no idea why she had that particular verse pasted up, but I can't tell you how many times those words have come to my mind - usually when I am right in the middle of, or at least seriously contemplating, a knock-down, drag-out, total word-thrashing fight.

Today, I came across a similar passage in Chronicles 20: "This is what the LORD says to you: 'Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God's. . . . You will not have to fight this battle. Take up your positions; stand firm and see the deliverance the LORD will give you . . . Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Go out to face them tomorrow, and the LORD will be with you.' " (vs. 15-17)

There is nothing wimpy here. Those people were called to take a position and stand firm - they couldn't just run away from the battle itself, and yet they were told to let the Lord do the fighting. Finally, an option beyond fight or flight. And yet it goes completely against my natural impulses.

In my own life, I want to have confidence in the truth that I serve a God who is a "fighting God" - a God who is willing to go into battle for me. I can't just hide when times get tough, I have to face the realities of difficult situations, but I also don't have to be afraid or discouraged, because the "Lord will be with [me]". So, it's time to face life's battles, sit on my hands, close my ever-blabbing mouth, and watch the deliverance of the Lord at work. Now aren't those nice fighting words?

No comments:

Post a Comment