Friday, June 19, 2009

The End

I'm contemplative today. In part because I watched this yesterday - which was well worth the hour-and-a-half that it took our snail-like internet to download.

It certainly got me thinking: if the Lord chooses to call me home tomorrow, or in six weeks, or even in sixty years, what would I want my daughter to know about God, about me, about life? What am I doing today to leave a legacy of faith for her and others? How will I be remembered? What will be the lingering essence of my life, once this mortal body no longer remains?

Those are things that I don't like to think about - at least not very often. But they are important questions to ask because the answers should influence and even dictate the very way I live each and every day. If I want to be remembered as a good wife and mother, I need to be a good wife and mother. If I want to be known as a woman who was hospitable and generous, I need to invite others into my home and be willing to share my life, my time, and my possessions with them. If I want to leave a legacy of faith, I have to allow room for faith to thrive in my everyday exsistence.

The end. I want to keep the end in mind. I want to keep the end in mind so that I can not only leave a legacy, but live a legacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment