Monday, August 10, 2009

Not-Me-Monday - Camping Style

We finally went camping this weekend. We have not been talking about it all summer long! And now that the end of summer is fast approaching, we definitely are not just now getting our gear together and actually trying to find a little time to experience the great outdoors. No way!

With a summer's worth of anticipation, we certainly didn't start Juliette's first camping trip off in a foul mood, due to my badgering and complaining. I mean I would never sabotage a perfectly good family outing by having a bad attitude. Nope, not me! And I certainly would never rush my husband to such an extent that he would forget his toothbrush AND clean underwear. Eww!



Several of our friends broke down and bought campers this year (I think it has something to do with not being sure how to corral babies in the wild). We on the other hand decided to still "rough it" and use a tent on a nicely prepared campground tent pad. With all that said, we definitely did not complain about the hard ground or stiff backs in the morning. Nope, we're too young for that anyways.

As for corralling babies in the wild, well we didn't just give in and set-up one of our favorite at-home containment devices. I mean, what is the point of taking your child into the wilderness if they can't truly be wild, right?


Juliette loved camping, especially sleeping in the tent between mom and dad - which we definitely did not let her do. I'd never want her to get out of our her normal sleeping routine. Nope, not me!


And when she refused to go to sleep in the new digs - which by the way my daughter would never do - we didn't just give in and lay down with her. And we absolutely did not just decide to call it a night and go to bed at a quarter to nine. I mean what adult is even sleepy at that hour? Not him . . .

. . . and definitely not me!

The next morning we did not wake up with the sunrise. Everyone knows that Saturdays are for sleeping in, right?

When I started to make breakfast I realized that I had forgotten to bring cups, but I did not just decide to drink the orange juice straight out of the jug. I'd never resort to the secret ways of highschool boys. Nope, not me!

Since we had gone to bed so early the night before, I also did not decide to eat a few Smores for breakfast. Chocolate and marshmallows on an empty stomach? My health conscience mother and friends might disown me for that. No, I'd never.



While I cleaned up from breakfast, Seth did not set up an archery range right in the middle of the campground. That might be dangerous. Nor did he impress me at all with his mad arrow shooting skills.


We went for a little hike to the creek, and I definitely did not wear flip-flops only to discover some poison ivy along the trail. A mountain bred girl like me would have more sense than to wear flip flips on a hike. Seriously!




All in all, we had a great time, and hopefully we'll manage to squeeze in one more night or two of camping before winter comes. But next time I think we might break down and bring an air mattress to sleep on. Of course, I'm not complaining. I would never complain. And I'd definitely not start thinking that my friends might have the right idea about investing in campers. Nope, not me!

~~~

More Not-Me-Monday fun here:

2 comments:

  1. Heheh...is this a preview of what my weekend is going to look like? We haven't tent camped with a baby since Kelsey's first summer (in-laws have a camper), but we're going to try this weekend. wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just remember to bring lots of wipes, bugspray, and chocolate - it's a great breakfast food!

    ReplyDelete