Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Bye-Bye Paper Towels

Even though I recycle what I can, use cloth diapers, and try and buy organic produce when it is available and affordable, I would never really consider myself "green". Maybe I'd call myself "partially green", sort of "mint" or "turquoise". But not really green.

However, since we moved to the High Arid Plains, nearly one year ago, I've made a huge "green" lifestyle change. I'm not going to lie, it probably has more to do with the fact that I'm a tight wad, and my shopping trips are much more limited living here, than an actual conscience decision to be "greener". Living here, I've just had to make do. Which in this case, has been a great thing.

In the past year I've only purchased two or three rolls of paper towels. Not packages - that's right - just two or three rolls in an entire year!

Now if you think that my house/child/car/husband must be dirty/grimy/germy/sticky - well they are, sometimes. But I can't blame that fact on not using paper towels. It has more to do with my lack of initiative when it comes to cleaning. But we don't need to discuss that right now, do we? Ahem.

So back to the paper towel thing. Here is what I have been using instead:


Right after Juliette was born, I took all of the "boy" towels that I had and cut them up into small squares. These squares ended up being invaluable paper towel substitutes. I keep them in our kitchen and some in Juliette's bedroom. I use them for wiping down Juliette after she eats, cleaning up spit-up, washing all that is dirty/grimy/germy/sticky (when I actually have some initiative in that area!). When I'm done, I just throw them in the wash with everything else. After a whole year, the edges haven't really frayed, and they seem to be holding up nicely.

I do still use towels for cleaning up toxic chemicals, fish guts, or other super yucky jobs. But the truth is, paper towels are really becoming a thing of the past around here. And true to my tight wad self, I'm happy to be saving money too.

Anyone else have some "minty" tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment