Wednesday, May 26, 2010

More Please

Juliette is an okay vegetable eater - she'll usually eat peas, green beans, yams, avocados, corn, and broccoli. Usually. But forget about cauliflower, carrots, celery, or lettuce. And the only way she'll touch spinach is if it is baked in something or put into a smoothie (that recipe is here). But there is one thing she will always eat - macaroni and cheese. So tonight, I made a "healthy" version of macaroni and cheese, and she couldn't get enough. I gave her three heaping servings of it, and she practically licked the plate. Little did she know, she was eating one of the vegetables on her "do not touch" list. Poor girl, she doesn't know who she's up against.

I have to say, that I enjoyed a generous helping of this stuff too. If I hadn't made it myself, I don't think I would have been able to tell it wasn't a real alfredo sauce. So enjoy. We sure did!

Macaroni with White Cheese Sauce*

1/2 lb cooked whole wheat pasta shells

1/2 a head of cauliflower, cut into small florets

2 tbsp olive oil

4 cloves of garlic

3/4 cup chicken stock (I cheated and just used a left over ramen noodle chicken flavoring packet dissolved in water - chicken bouillon works too)

1 cup parmesan cheese


Directions: Steam the cauliflower for 20 minutes. Cool. Cook the garlic in the olive oil over med. heat until brown. Add the chicken stock and heat thoroughly. Put the garlic mixture and cauliflower in a blender and puree until entirely smooth. Pour back into a sauce pan and heat until steaming. Pour the sauce over the pasta shells and stir in the parmesan cheese. Add a pinch of salt if necessary. Eat up, those veggies are good for you!

*This was based off a Fettuccine Alfredo Recipe you can find here.

No comments:

Post a Comment