Saturday, November 14, 2009

Keepin' It Clean



My husband has often accused me of being a neat-freak. The fact that I take that as a compliment might lend credence to his accusation, but the fact that I've had dirt on my bathroom floor for nearly a week now clearly proves otherwise.

I am not going to deny that I like things neat and tidy, and I might possibly even be persuaded to confess that when the house is a total pigsty I start to shut down internally, but when it comes to dusting or scrubbing toilets - well frankly, I can think of a thousand other things I'd rather do.

Housecleaning is important to me, but I confess that the self-discipline required to actually do the cleaning isn't an inherent trait for me. I have to work at getting motivated to clean - especially if we aren't having any company. (Someone once said that having company is God's gift of motivation towards cleaning your house. Amen!) And seeing that we are in the middle of a dry spell (three weeks with no company) my motivation is waning.

Over the years, I've tried all sorts of cleaning regiments to try and stay on top of things. Before I was a mom, and I was working full time, Saturday morning was cleaning time. Of course my favorite regiment was when I hired someone to come in and clean the house for me, but those days are long gone. Right now, I've found that if I do a little bit each day, keeping the house clean is a lot easier.

Here is my current regime:

Monday -Laundry/Wash & Change Bed Linens
Tuesday - Vacuum/Clean Mirrors & Glass
Wednesday - Wipe Down Kitchen / Sweep & Mop
Thursday - Dust / Water Plants
Friday - Clean Bathrooms
Saturday - Vacuum

I have to confess though, that often times these things don't get done on the days allotted for them. If my kitchen is fairly clean, but the bathrooms are gross, I might switch it up. I like to keep life exciting like that.

And, of course, there is always the old adage, "It is easier to keep up than it is to catch up". If I notice the sink needs wiped out, I try to do it right then and there. If there are a lot of crumbs on the floor, I'll sweep them up before they get tracked all through the house - generally. But then again, there is that week-old dirt on my bathroom floor. I really should go wipe that up. But then again, I wouldn't want anyone to think I was a neat-freak or anything like that.

Happy cleaning!

2 comments:

  1. This is funny to me because another friend posted a blog today about how hard it is to keep the house clean. Sigh! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that the weather is bad and we are forced to stay in our houses, it must be that we are finally realizing all the dirt that has been here all along. Deep, deep sigh!

    ReplyDelete