Sunday, October 3, 2010

Sometimes We Just Need To

Juliette lightly bumped her foot against the sideboard, and she ran to me with huge tears welling in her eyes, as her voice reached an all-time record on the whiny scale.  She is generally pretty tough when it comes to things like this, but she was having an off day, on top of being hungry and tired.  I was feeling exhausted, and I was tempted to briskly tell her that she was okay, and that she needed to stop her blubbering.  And then the thought occurred to me, "I'm the one she runs to". 

What a thought . . . what an honor!  When she is hurting she wants me to hold her, she wants me to rock her, she wants me to kiss her boo-boos and stroke her back.   She wants me to tell her that everything is all right.  She wants to know that I care, that I love her, and that I'll be there the next time she needs comforting.  

As I scooped her up in my arms, and lavished as much love as I could on that stubbed toe, I suddenly caught a glimpse of how our Heavenly Father must feel when we come to him with our bumps, scrapes, and emotional wounds.  He, being the Perfect Parent, actually can heal our life-owies, and I don't think He every runs short on patience or tenderness.  He wants to be the One we run to - and He is waiting with open arms.  Oh to be childlike enough to run to Him without a moment's hesitation, with complete and wild abandon - confident of His comfort, secure in His love.

Sweet little Jewel, you teach me more and more about Jesus everyday.  I sure am lucky to me your mama!

~~~

"As a mother comforts her child, so I will comfort you . . . " - Isaiah 66:13

~~~

Before we got married, a very wise, married man pulled Seth aside for some words of advice.  This man is a salt-of-the-earth, quiet-mannered car mechanic.  He is unassuming in every way, and yet he is one of the most gentle, caring servants I've ever known.  He is not the type to spout out opinions, so when he pulled Seth aside, Seth listened carefully. 

Since I wasn't there, I don't know exactly how the conversation went or the exact words that were said, but Seth told me later that our friend said something like this:  "Sometimes girls just need to cry.  They don't need a reason and you don't need to try and make them stop or fix' anything.  Just hold them and let them cry.  Sometimes they just need to do that." 

EVERY man needs to hear those words.  Because I'm pretty sure EVERY girl has moments like that.  At least they do around this house.  And EVERY time those moments come, I'm so thankful for an unassuming, salt-of-the-earth mechanic who took a few moments to share his wisdom, and for a husband willing to listen to sage advice. 

2 comments:

  1. Angela, amazing point! So many times we get forget the love of God! Hope you guys are all well and doing wonderful! Miss you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great words of advice to Seth! And what a special man that unassuming, salt-of-the-earth mechanic is!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete