Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Birthday Celebrations

Before I was a mom I had all of these ideas of how I was going to do things. I know that this probably won't come as a complete shock to all who knew me before I was a mom. And it probably won't come as a complete shock to all who met me after I was a mom. But there is a part of me that wants, wishes, okay REALLY, REALLY HOPES that becoming a mom has made me a better person - a more relaxed person, a more flexible person, and do I dare say it . . . a more fun person.

The "before I was a mom" person had certain ideas about motherhood and parenting. Including some very specific ideas about birthdays. Don't laugh . . . I'm totally serious here. In my previous personhood mind I felt like it was wrong (yes, wrong!) to always through large parties, buy elaborate presents, and make a big to-do over a child's birthday. I felt strongly that this only encouraged materialism and taught the child that it was okay to buy into our commercialized society.

But that was before I saw this . . .


. . . my little girl full of anticipation over opening her birthday gift. Don't get me wrong, I still want her to learn to appreciate the simple things. I still want her to learn the value of having a content heart. I want her to recycle, reuse, and repurpose. But honestly, right now I'm just enjoying watching her rip the paper.



Like I said, motherhood has changed me.

1 comment:

  1. I must be a horrible parent because I didn't do much for Micah's first and second birthday. Guess I figured he wouldn't remember anyhow. :)

    ReplyDelete