Saturday, December 4, 2010

Saturday Afternoon Thoughts

We've enjoyed a laid-back Saturday.  Juliette had a little birthday party to go to this morning, and is now enjoying a much needed nap.  Our town is having their holiday parade and festival this evening, so all of us have just been enjoying a couple of hours of rest and relaxation before the big shin-dig. 

I've used this time to catch up on a few of my friend's blogs.  I came across this great entry from some friends of ours who have a daughter that was born with special needs.  It is such a precious testimony of God's faithfulness to them during their journey.  If you have a moment, read it.  You'll be glad you did!

So many dear friends and family members have called, text, e-mailed or messaged us over the past few days.  What a blessing to be surround by so many people who are faithfully lifting us up in prayer.  It is making a difference - we certainly feel buoyed!

My aunt and I were talking yesterday about how easy it is to get wrapped up in our own sagas.  I've certainly been guilty of that the past few weeks! As we were waiting in the pre-op waiting room and my mind was consumed with keeping Juliette content (and contained!), there was a little boy who caught my eye.  He looked a little bit younger than Juliette, but was pale and listless.  For more than an hour he lay nearly motionless on his mother's lap - clearly quite ill.  The only time I saw him move was to vomit.  His parents were very young looking, and the fear that I felt in my heart for my child looked like it was a hundred times more intense for them.  They were eventually whisked away by the nurses, but the vision of that little boy has not left me.  I am so thankful for the reminder that there are so many others who are in much worse situations than ours.  It certainly makes me realize how much we have to be thankful for! If you say a prayer for us tonight, please say one for that little boy too.

For years now I've had a book on my shelf by Elisabeth Elliot called, "A Path Through Suffering - Discovering the Relationship Between God's Mercy and Our Pain".   I think I originally bought it to give to someone else, but it has sat unread and ungifted upon my shelf for about 10 years now!  I've been reading it in small, digestible snippets the past few weeks.  It is certainly not light, easy reading.  If you don't know Elisabeth Elliot's first husband was a missionary who was murdered by the people he was ministering to.  She also lost her second  husband (to cancer, I believe).  She knows what suffering is all about - and she also knows the unfathomable depths of God's mercy and grace.

I'll be honest, like most people, I'm not too fond of talking about the "minor key" of life.  As Christians we are called to joy and hope and peace - and I'd rather forget about the suffering Jesus also promised (John 16:33).  We aren't supposed to be surprised when life on this earth doesn't always go like we expected - in fact we can expect difficulties, trials, and pain.  But under Christ's perfect orchestration those minor chords can create a glorious melody of triumph, victory, and glory. 

Here is a paragraph that has resonated with me today: "He wants to transform every form of human suffering into something glorious.  He can redeem it.  He can bring life out of death.  Every event of our lives provides opportunity to learn the deepest lesson anyone can learn on earth, 'My present life is not that of the old "I", but the living Christ in me' (Gala 2:20).  When our souls lie barren in a winter which seems hopeless and endless, God has not abandoned us.  His work goes on.   He asks our acceptance of the painful process and our trust . . ."

Whatever we face next week, whether it is major or minor, that is my prayer - that God will use even this to His glory.  May we be willing to embrace all that God has to teach us during this part of our journey.  No matter how long winter is, in Christ, springtime is guaranteed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment